Unique Driver Identifier

Discuss Stepper motors, Drivers, Controllers, GUI's and related Accessories here.
om_tech_support_CF

Unique Driver Identifier

Post by om_tech_support_CF » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:04 pm

Q: I have several AZD-AX Drivers hooked up to a common network at different locations throughout the country that I access remotely. Each driver performs a different motion profile. Is there a way I can read a register from the drive via Modbus-RTU to determine which drive is which? I would prefer a different method than naming the Axis from 1-31. Is it possible to read the serial number?

A: Unfortunately you cannot read the serial number of the driver. You can however set a unique identifier for the USB-ID Parameter that can be read through Modbus-RTU. Page 254 of the AZ manual discusses this parameter.

USB-ID.png
USB-ID.png (32 KiB) Viewed 81 times

Page 424 of the AZ Manual discusses the register addresses and settings associated with this parameter.

Driver Mode Setting Parameters.png
Driver Mode Setting Parameters.png (20.22 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Driver Mode Setting Parameters 2.png
Driver Mode Setting Parameters 2.png (17.01 KiB) Viewed 81 times

Alternatively, you can set these values with our free software MEXE02 as well. Navigate to the Communication & I/F tab to set your desired values. We only need rows 3 & 4. For this example, I set a value of 1001 for the USB-ID.

MEXE02 Communication & IF.png
MEXE02 Communication & IF.png (10.51 KiB) Viewed 81 times

This set value can now be read by reading from the 999 register.

Should you have any further questions please contact us at [email protected] or call at 1-800-GO VEXTA.