Virtual Inputs on AZ Series

A question of interest from our Technical Support group will be posted here each day.
om_tech_support_CF

Virtual Inputs on AZ Series

Post by om_tech_support_CF » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:45 am

Q: I have one of your AZ series steppers driving a ball screw. Oftentimes an operator drops a wrench in the track which jams the table. The external force from the wrench is not enough to send an overload alarm. The jam is really screwing up my application and cycle time. I would prefer to have the table stop once a jam occurs. Do you have a solution to this?

A: With the AZ series motor and driver, virtual inputs are offered. Virtual inputs can be used to trigger an input once an output has been detected. In this example, we will use the TLC (Torque Limit Control) output to trigger the Stop input, virtually. The TLC Output will go high when a force larger than the set operating current is reached.

You will have to go into the “EXT-IN & VIR-IN & USR-OUT function (Extend)” tab, which can be found under the parameter tree on the left hand side of MEXE02.

Next you will set your Input and Output. (Stop and TLC) You will enter these into VIR-IN0 as this will be our first virtual I/O. It is possible to set 4 different virtual I/Os.

1.png
1.png (82.51 KiB) Viewed 1692 times

Then you will have to change the operating current in the “Operation data” tab. You will have to test different current percentages to see what value is sufficient for your application.

2.png
2.png (114.56 KiB) Viewed 1801 times

After writing these changes to the driver, the TLC output will go high when the torque percentage is exceeded, and the motor will stop.

Should you have any further questions please contact us at [email protected] or call at 1-800-GO VEXTA.

om_tech_support_CF

Re: Virtual Inputs on AZ Series

Post by om_tech_support_CF » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:25 pm

Following up on this topic, the same can be done on our Ethernet/IP drive over DDO.