Microstepping with UDK5128NW2

Discuss Stepper motors, Drivers, Controllers, GUI's and related Accessories here.
darenfs

Microstepping with UDK5128NW2

Postby darenfs » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:27 am

Hi all
I am using the Ethernet SmoothStepper ESS to drive the 5 phase vexta UDk5128NW2 drivers to move a Berger Lahr RDM596 motor (2.7A/phase, 0.72/0.36 degree).

The Ethernet SmoothStepper is an external motion control device that connects to the Ethernet port of a PC. It accepts commands from a software package such as Mach3, and produce very high quality pulse trains that drive step & direction motors. It can handle 4MHz.

Besides the half step resolution, can one use micro-stepping to achieve higher resolution and much quieter machine ?

ESS board manual here:
http://warp9td.com/index.php/documentation

om_tech_support_JT

Re: Microstepping with UDK5128NW2

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:54 pm

Hi darenfs,

Unfortunately, the UDK5128NW2 driver does not offer microstepping, and currently we do not have an direct replacement microstepping driver that can output 2.8 A/ph max current to the motor like the UDK5128NW2. Our drivers now output less current since our newer motors are more efficient.

Microstepping does help lower vibration and noise. You can also try to lower the motor current setting located on the driver. Current is proportional to torque, and excessive torque could turn into vibration. Make sure everything is bolted down tightly.

If you would like to replace your motor and driver to a high efficiency motor and microstepping driver like what I mentioned above, please let me know. However, the speed and torque characteristics could be different than what you have right now. I'll need to look at your motor's specifications.

glennsky

Postby glennsky » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:46 am

Would the newer CVD5 series - CVD528BR-K - be able to drive the Berger Lahr RDM596/50 series in microstep mode? That drive is listed with a motor driver current of 2.8A/phase.

Is the CVD5 series configured for the "New Pentagon" windings mode like the "N" models UDK5 drives?

Thanks.

om_tech_support_AC

Postby om_tech_support_AC » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:38 am

Hi glennsky,

CVD528BR-K can supply 2.8 A/phase and is a New Pentagon type 5 phase driver. CVD528BR-K has a 24 VDC input so depending upon if the Berger Lahr RDM596/50 motor was previously used with a AC input driver it could have reduced torque.

Return to “Stepper Motors and Controls”