Connecting a PADG-SB NPN Type Home Sensor to SCX10

om_tech_support_JT

Connecting a PADG-SB NPN Type Home Sensor to SCX10

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:07 pm

Q: I have purchased your SCX10 universal motion controller as well as your PADG-SB NPN type home sensor set for an existing DG series rotary hollow actuator system. I need to build rotary tables quickly, and I found that the DG rotary table minimizes my development time. How do I connect this home sensor and set it up properly so I can start performing homing routines?

A: First, you will need to determine if your PADG-SB NPN type home sensor is the right one to use. The SCX10 is designed to work with either the PADG-SB (NPN type) or PADG-SBY (PNP type) home sensor; depending on your preference. It may also depend on what other devices/equipments you are connecting to our SCX10 controller. Then you'll have to assign the home sensor input to a specific general input by using the INHOME command from your computer terminal, or by using SYSTEM CONFIGURATION tab within the SCX10 Immediate Motion Creator GUI software. Once we have this figured out, we can then determine the proper wiring. You will also need to determine if you want your home sensor to be normally open or normally closed.

To understand this wiring diagram more easily, you'll need the following:
PADG-SB, PADG-SBY wiring diagrams:
PADG-SB, PADG-SBY wiring diagram.jpg
PADG-SB, PADG-SBY wiring diagram.jpg (174.22 KiB) Viewed 3294 times

PADG-SB to SCX10 wiring example for 24vDC:
Connecting PADG-SB NPN Home Sensor to SCX10.jpg
Connecting PADG-SB NPN Home Sensor to SCX10.jpg (143.18 KiB) Viewed 3294 times

STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Use the same voltage/GND for our controller as well as your sensor.
2. Assign HOME input to an unassigned input via our Immediate Motion Creator software or INHOME command.
3. Supply voltage (for our inputs) to IN-COM of our SCX10 connector if you haven't already done so.
4. Supply voltage (for the sensor) to the BROWN wire of our PADG-SB sensor. Jumper the PINK wire to the BROWN wire if you want the sensor logic to be normally closed.
5. Connect the HOME input from the SCX10 to the BLACK (HOMELS) wire of the PADG-SB sensor.
6. Complete the circuit for both our HOME input and the sensor by connecting the BLUE wire of the sensor to GND of power supply.

You may also need to refer to the wiring diagrams on pages 31 and 32 of the SCX10 manual:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 3013-6.pdf

om_tech_support_JT

Re: Connecting a PADG-SB NPN Type Home Sensor to SCX10

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:02 pm

By the way, if you use the PADG-SB sensor with the SCX10's HOME input, you do not have to provide any external resistors to limit the current to 100mA or below. The SCX10 already has resistors in its internal circuits to accept 5~24v signals.

We show an internal circuit diagram for our inputs which already has a 5.4 Kohm resistor in series (SCX10 manual, page 25), so by using Ohm's Law:

V=IR
I = V/R
I = 24/5.4
I = 4.44 mA

4.44mA < 100mA so you do not need to provide external resistors. The instructions in the sensor's wiring diagram is assuming that you are using some other 3rd party controller.

om_tech_support_JT

Re: Connecting a PADG-SB NPN Type Home Sensor to SCX10

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:24 am

Please click to view full updated image with 24VDC connected to pin1 (IN-COM). This powers our input circuits.
Connecting PADG-SB NPN Home Sensor to SCX10.jpg
Connecting PADG-SB NPN Home Sensor to SCX10.jpg (145.85 KiB) Viewed 2508 times

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”