ARD-KD AR Flex driver: integration with touchscreen PLC?

om_tech_support_JT

ARD-KD AR Flex driver: integration with touchscreen PLC?

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:11 pm

Q: I am looking for some guidance on programming an ARD-KD with a XLT OCS (he-XT103BF) touch screen controller. I want to be able to input a length and a quantity through a key pad. I am not sure if the hardware I have is capable or which software I need to use. Any help would be appreciated.

A: The ARD-KD driver is part of our "FLEX" family of RS485/Modbus RTU network compatible products designed to run seamlessly with HMIs, touchscreens, and PLCs with the same network capabilities. To execute motion properly, first you need to set up the motion data on the driver and save them. There are several ways to set up your motion data (up to 64 motion data can be set from DATA 0~DATA 63).

1st method would be to use our dedicated OPX-2A hand-held programming module to set up your motion data. This is sort of like our key pad. You only need to set up the motion data that you need (up to 64). Another method would be to use the MEXE02 motion data setting software. Another method would be to use your touchscreen to output a Modbus command to our driver to set these up. We will need to verify if your touch screen controller has the ability to communicate via Modbus RTU. If it offers network compatibility for other networks such as CC-Link, Mechatrolink, or Ethercat, we can offer a network converter to make it work. After you set the motion data with any of the above methods, you can either use direct I/O (control I/O by physical wiring to driver I/O) or remote I/O (control I/O from a remote Modbus RTU through network) to execute the motion of your choice.

After reading some literature for your XLT OCS HE-XT103 touchscreen controller, it seems to already offer RS485/Modbus connectivity available so you could use that to program your motion data instead of using the OPX-2A. The OPX-2A will require you input data using # of pulses/steps and speed in Hz. Your touchscreen could be set up to use your own distance and speed units. You should be able to set up buttons or a key pad on your touchscreen that would send the proper Modbus command to our AR driver when touched/pressed. The commands would be in hexadecimal format.

For example, if you have the following parameters/requirements:

5mm pitch ballscrew (5mm per motor revolution)
AR motor is set to its default resolution of 1000 steps/revolution (0.36 degrees per step)
it requires a 10mm distance to index a single part, which means it takes 2000 steps for the AR motor (10/5*1000) to index one single part

and you want to program travel distances for 1 to 10 parts....

You would use the OPX-2A to program 2000 steps for Data 1 (move one part), 4000 pulses for Data 2 (move two parts), 6000 pulses for Data 3 (move three parts)....all the way up to Data 10 (move 10 parts) which would be 2000 steps/part x 10 parts = 20,000 steps. These can be programmed for absolute positioning (traveling in relation to an electrical home position) or incremental positioning (traveling in relation to last motor position). In order to move to these pre-programmed distances, we offer 2 modes: data selection mode and sequential mode. In data selection mode, you would choose the data number with the driver's M0~M5 binary coded decimal inputs, then a START signal triggers the specific motion. So if you want to command the motor to travel the distance for 2 parts (20mm, or 4000 steps, which is Data 2), execute Data 2 by turning on the M1 input then trigger the START input on. In sequential mode, you leave all M0~M5 inputs off, then use the SSTART input to cycle through all pre-programmed motion data. When you turn on the SSTART input the 1st time, it will execute the 1st saved motion data. The next time you turn on the SSTART input, it will execute the next saved motion data in the sequence. When the driver cycles through all of the pre-programmed motion data, it will loop back to the 1st one. The sequential start operation is useful in minimizing the # of inputs required.

[ OPX-2A ]
LINK: http://catalog.orientalmotor.com/item/a ... ies/opx-2a

Besides the ability to set up motion data, the OPX-2A as well as the MEXE02 also provides several useful functions including position monitoring, I/O logic setting, and I/O monitoring.

For the Modbus RTU hexadecimal commands format, I would advise you to review this technical article below for an application example:
-however, it goes over the MEXE02 software more than the OPX-2A.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=716

Please contact our knowledgeable technical support group if you have any questions @ 800-468-3982 or e-mail us @ [email protected].

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”