CRK built-in Controller Type Daisy-Chain

om_tech_support_JT

CRK built-in Controller Type Daisy-Chain

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:29 pm

Q: I am trying to connect three CRD507KP drivers for my application. There are two connectors on the top side of the driver. Which connector should I use and what type of cable should I use? Also, if I want to activate the motors at the same time, how should I implement that?

A: In order to connect multiple CRK series built-in controller type drivers, we implement the multi-drop configuration referred as daisy-chain. There will be one driver that’s connected to your PC, or a master control device such as PLC, HMI etc. This connection will follow RS-485 standard. On the driver side, an RJ-45 connector is used. On the control device side, you may need either a RS-485 to RS-232 adaptor, or a RS-485 to USB adaptor depending on the communication port available. The rest of the drivers can be daisy-chained using a standard CAT5 cable. You can use either CN6 or CN7 on the top side for this connection, a maximum of 15 drivers can be daisy-chained together, and each of them should have a unique address number.

Once you have the drivers connected, you can use a global command from your master control device to activate the sequences. For example, \MCN command will run all three motors continuously in the CCW direction.

If you have a specific set of motion profiles, you will need to write them in a program, and have the program saved on each of the axes. Please make sure that they all have the same sequence number. For instance, if the program is saved as Sequence 1 on the first axis, you will need to also have the program saved under Sequence 1 on all other axes. This way, when you send out the global command to activate Sequence 1, all the axes should start at the same time.

After the programs are saved, your master control device needs to send out a global command \RUN # in ASCII format to activate the sequence on all axes. The # indicates your sequence number. Please make sure that you also include the CR (Carriage Return) and LF (Line Feed) at the end of each line of command.

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”