AR series AC types: is 24v on CN1 connector required?

om_tech_support_JT

AR series AC types: is 24v on CN1 connector required?

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:38 pm

Q: I just purchased an AR series AC-input type motor and driver system. However, whenever I power up the unit, it gives me alarms which are blinking red LEDs. I have my motor connected to the CN2 connector as well as the AC power supply to the CN3 terminals. I haven't even connected my CN5 I/O connector yet. Do I need to supply 24VDC to the 24 VDC power supply input terminals (CN1)? The literature I have is not very clear. The catalog even says on page A-63 regarding CONNECTING THE CONTROL POWER SUPPLY, "Provide a 24 VDC power supply if you want to supply the control power separately from the main power. Supply of the control power is optional.". My manual says to connect only if I have an electromagnetic brake type motor. Can you clarify?

A: Thanks for your background information. It makes our job easier. The fact that you did not have the CN5 I/O connector eliminates many other possible causes. Our literature can be confusing so let me explain more clearly. You do not need to provide 24VDC to the CN1 connector on the AR AC-input type driver. It is only required for electromagnetic brake type motor models. However, some of our customers do run into similar alarm issues as you, and these are the common causes:

1. When the product is shipped, we put a jumper cable between TH1 and TH2 on the CN1 mating connector. If this jumper is removed, then it will generate an alarm to indicate that the regeneration unit has overheated. To the driver, this is the same as removing the jumper.

2. Make sure the fasten the CN1 connector securely with the screws on the connector. If this is not securely fastened, the driver will also generate alarms.

I have included some additional information from the AR series operating manual that may also be helpful below.

DESCRIPTION OF AR DRIVER TERMINALS AND CONNECTORS (ARD-C):
ARD-C Driver Panel Terminals and Connectors Descriptions.jpg
ARD-C Driver Panel Terminals and Connectors Descriptions.jpg (185.32 KiB) Viewed 2492 times

IDEAL SYSTEM CONFIGURATION AND RECOMMENDED PERIPHERALS (ARD-C):
ARD-C Driver Ideal System Configuration, Setup, Peripherals.jpg
ARD-C Driver Ideal System Configuration, Setup, Peripherals.jpg (287.6 KiB) Viewed 2492 times

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”