SCX10: USB Communication / Grounding Issues

om_tech_support_JT

SCX10: USB Communication / Grounding Issues

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:10 pm

Q: I've just encountered a very strange issue. I had my SCX10 communicating properly, but when I connect my 25 pin I/O D-SUB connector (wired), the communication goes off or does not work anymore. When I unplug the 25 pin D-SUB connector from my SCX10, the communication starts working again. I must have my 25 pin I/O D-SUB connector connected in order for the SCX10 to work with my motor and driver. What can I do? How can I fix my issue?

A: It would help to know exactly what type of error messages you are receiving from the SCX10's Immediate Motion Creator GUI software when you are having communication issues, but we think we know what needs to be done. We think you need to provide proper grounding for the motor and the driver. Please review the installation section of the SCX10 manual to ensure proper grounding of our products. The NOTE below also states to ground the motor through the motor cable to the protective earth ground terminal of the driver. USB communication errors may occur if something is not properly grounded as the leakage current due to improper grounding could affect some of the electronics. Always remember to shield properly for electrical noise and suppress surges.

Notes about installation and wiring for SCX10 controller.jpg
Notes about installation and wiring for SCX10 controller.jpg (158.5 KiB) Viewed 2528 times

om_tech_support_JT

Re: SCX10: USB Communication / Grounding Issues

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:16 pm

Also - you should not connect or disconnect the I/O connector from the SCX10 while power is on. It will damage the interface circuit in the SCX10.
SCX10 IO connector note - do not connect, disconnect while power is on.jpg
SCX10 IO connector note - do not connect, disconnect while power is on.jpg (84.23 KiB) Viewed 2505 times

This is on page 33 or Chapter 6.5.2 - Signal Assignments in the SCX10 operating manual.

om_tech_support_JT

Re: SCX10: USB Communication / Grounding Issues

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:33 pm

For more information regarding our SCX10 universal motion controller including download links for manuals, please click the link below:
http://catalog.orientalmotor.com/item/a ... lers/scx10

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”