Re-wire a 5-Phase Motor to Reverse Direction

om_tech_support_JT

Re-wire a 5-Phase Motor to Reverse Direction

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:03 pm

5 phase stepping motor reverse direction

Q: I have a 5 phase stepping motor from your company and I am currently using the DFC5128T new pentagon driver. I am trying to reverse the rotation direction by changing the wiring, how do I do that?

A: The driver can take either 1 pulse or 2 pulse mode. In 1 pulse mode, you will simply switch the direction signal on or off to control the direction. In 2 pulse mode, you can connect the pulse signal to either CW or CCW input to control the direction. In order to change the motor wiring to switch the direction, we will need to reverse the energizing sequence of the internal windings. Please follow the link below to access the Technical Reference pages in the catalog, Pg. G-41 and Pg. G-43 explains the energizing sequences.

http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... roduct.pdf

For a 5 phase motor, energizing sequence goes from A-B-C-D-E, and each step will give 0.72 degrees rotation. We need to reverse the sequence to A-E-D-C-B so that the motor will rotate the other way. With our motor, the color codes on the wires are defined as below:

A PHASE BLUE
B PHASE RED
C PHASE ORANGE
D PHASE GREEN
E PHASE BLACK

So you will need to swap the BLACK and RED wires, and then ORANGE and GREEN wires. Please note that the recommended method of direction control is to use the input signals. Although the method mentioned above should work, we have not conducted testings on reversing the excitation sequence thus we cannot guarantee the performance.

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”